Well, weird things happen in many ways ;). I always wanted to build a security tool which will be used by people (simple dreams that every skiddie has). Last year around this time when I was accidentally going through the list of accepted organizations for GSoC 2013, I visited OWASP's Ideas page and ended up sending mails to two projects. What followed was pure black magic :P. I selected OWTF project to continue with the GSoC process & somehow my proposal got accepted. Well, this is how it started, but to be precise, even before I was accepted I started contributing because the project was really interesting ;)
My first contribution was a simple bug fix, which was difficult at that time considering the huge size of OWTF.
List of my main contributions§
- Helped in porting OWTF to Kali Linux.
- Made owtf stable on Kali because of which "v0.16 shady citizen" was released.
- Built fastest MiTM python proxy for OWTF as a part of GSoC 2013.
- Implemented a different installation procedure in owtf for supporting multiple distributions.
- Implemented an update mechanism for stable and bleeding edge updates.
- Helped in a total of 4 releases.
Some Git Stats§
- Number of commits : 163 (
git shortlog -sn)
- Bugs fixed + Features added : 75 (
git log --pretty=oneline --author="[email protected]" | grep -i "fix" | wc -l)
- Lines added : 16550 (Check these commands)
- Lines deleted : 13886
These stats are just for fun & I can confirm that my contributions to this awesome project are nothing compared to what I got from OWTF. I am unable to come up with a word to describe my fantastic experience with OWTF so far. OWTF along with this blogpost will remain incomplete without mentioning Abraham Aranguren, the founder & project leader for Offensive Web Testing Framework. I really don't think there can be a better project leader :D. I am glad to have him as my project leader.
Happenings with OWTF!§
- I will be mentoring a OWTF project during GSoC 2014.
- Some serious development is going on in UI branch of our repo ;)
- Check out the ideas of OWTF for GSoC 2014 to know about future features (There are some hidden surprises as well)
- Next version including Botnet Mode will be out before GSoC 2014 coding period.