I never really considered shifting my blog to a different platform as I am lazy and my previous attempts ended up wasting my time. But then I got bored of using blogger interface to write posts. Apart from the fact that you don't have to take care of hosting, everything else in Blogger is a disaster for me.
- Ugly themes
- Bad editor
- Ugly themes :P
- Bad editor XD
So I thought of shifting to some other solution. My decision parameters were:-
- I want free and reliable hosting for the blog because I dont want to run around fixing stuff.
- I should be able to write posts in markdown.
- I want to theme my blog ground up.
Jekyll is something which is suitable for me:-
- Github pages can be used for hosting.
- Redcarpet markdown.
- Nice templating engine.
How I got this blog running?
Install Jekyll in your system & don't forget to add ~/.gem/ruby/.../bin to your PATH variable
gem install jekyll
Visit jekyll docs on how to use jekyll
- Checkout github pages on hosting your new jekyll blog
- Also visit this to use custom domain etc..
- Check out the source code of my blog to see how social buttons, comments etc.. are implemented
- Useful Link